Before a Winter Storm
Stock Emergency Supplies:
Preparing ahead of the winter season will help to weather whatever hazards mother nature throws your way.
- Install battery-powered or battery back-up carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors.
- First-aid kit
- Flashlight with batteries
- Plenty of water and non-perishable food
- Manual can-opener
- Duct tape
- Battery operated radio
- Personal hygiene items
- Portable battery and charging cords for electronic devices
- Fire Extinguisher
- More Information (External Site: Red Cross)
Register Medical Equipment for Power Outage Notification:
- To be notified of planned power outages, fill out an online outage notification form.
- Or, with a note from your doctor, fill out the form at the City Hall Customer Service desk to be added to the outage notification list.
- Be prepared; have a generator back-up and/or a back-up plan
Prepare Your Vehicle:
Prepare for driving in rain, snow and ice, and make sure your vehicle is capable.
- Check your Vehicle
- brakes and lights
- fuel levels and fluids
- battery, tire pressure and tread depth
- Add to vehicle emergency supply kit:
- windshield ice scraper, snow shovel, and chains
- jumper cables, flares, and tool kit
- first aid kit
- flashlight and extra batteries
- cell phone and charger
- water, non-perishable foods (energy bars, crackers, dry cereal)
- blanket and warm clothing
- face masks and sanitizer
Winterize Your Home:
- Drain and insulate outdoor pipes and faucets
- Clear debris from storm drains and gutters
- Check furnace and chimney
- Check batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
- More Information (External Site: FEMA)
Identify a place nearby where you can safely warm up should you lose heat in your home for an extended period-of-time.