Water Treatment Plant Operator II
Under general supervision, maintains the City’s potable water treatment plant, industrial water plant, booster stations and reservoirs. Performs maintenance and operation activities at the potable water treatment plant, industrial water source and booster stations. Duties also include the inspection, operation and maintenance of Water Utility equipment. Work will involve shifts that include weekends and holidays or non-standard hours.
Education and Certifications:
- Must have or obtain a valid First Aid card.
- Must have or be able to acquire within 30 days a valid State of Washington driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to the City’s Risk Manager.
- Must have basic familiarity with personal computer and associated software.
- Possession of a valid State of Washington Water Treatment Plant Operator II certification or the ability to acquire a WTP Operator II certification within two months of hire.
Three years of work experience as a Water Treatment Plant Operator I and a Water Treatment Plant Operator II certification or the ability to acquire a Water Treatment Plant Operator II certification within two months of hire. A Water Distribution Manager II and Cross Connection Control Specialist certification is desirable.
Coursework available through California State University (Ken Kerri correspondence course), Green River Community College online coursework, or other equivalent programs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Electrical and mechanical components of booster stations and chlorinators, including pumps, motors, valves, piping and electrical control equipment.
- Operation of chemical feed equipment and pumps.
- SCADA, telemetry, process control theories and applications including water treatment plant and field instrumentation.
- Microsoft office software applications such as word, excel, and other related software, plus specialized software related to water treatment plants.
- Test water samples and add proper chemical to assure proper treatment of drinking water.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and the general public.
- Operate various hand and power tools used in the maintenance and repair of equipment used at water treatment plant and other related facilities.
- Maintain and repair pumps, valves, motors, electrical control equipment and machinery at water treatment plant and other related facilities.
- Communicate, read, write and understand English at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
- Use personal computers for data analysis, data entry, and be efficient in Microsoft office software and other specialized water software.
Salary: $59,038.72-$70,514.08 annually. Excellent benefits include longevity pay after completion of 5 years, medical, dental and vision coverage for employee and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, vacation/sick leave accrual, PERS retirement and deferred compensation plans. Employee shares 12.5% of the medical premium. Position is represented by AFSCME Local 1619.