Wastewater Laboratory Technician
Under direction of the Wastewater Plant Superintendent performs sampling and analysis of wastewater samples, provides process control adjustments and assists in other operational activities involved with the wastewater treatment and collection system pumping. May be required to provide 24hr emergency response as part of a scheduled on call and weekend shift rotation.
$29.240 - $34.918 per hour ($60,819.20 to $72,629.44 annually) DOE. Represented by AFSCME Local #1619
Work is performed indoors or outdoors, and involves standing and sitting at a personal computer, stooping and bending during sampling procedures, and occasional lifting of heavy objects. Ability to work in and during inclement weather and in objectionable environments, including confined spaces.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
- Completion of wastewater plant operation and maintenance courses from an approved school is required.
- Department of Ecology certification* as a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Class II is required at the time of hire.
- Two (2) years of experience in wastewater treatment plant operation and maintenance is required, and
- One (1) year of experience in wastewater treatment plant laboratory analysis, interpretation of data for process control and operation strategies is required.
- Must have good keyboard skills and a working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and database software as well as an ability to quickly learn new applications.
- Must have valid Washington State Driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
- A valid first aid card is required within 6 months of hire.
*An out-of-state certification is acceptable at time of hire, however a Washington State Department of Ecology certification must be obtained within 6 months of hire.
To Apply: Go to www.cityofpa.us/jobcenter to complete the on-line application and submit a letter of interest and resume. First Review of applications: November 12, 2021.
Selection Process: Applicants will be evaluated on the requirements and related experience. Only applicants selected to receive an interview will be contacted. COPA is an EOE.
Human Resources Office
321 E 5th St
Port Angeles, WA 98362
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Environmental Protection Agency and Washington State Department of Ecology NPDES permit requirements relating to wastewater treatment plants.
- Knowledge of standard sampling and analysis techniques, procedures, lab equipment and chemicals used for determination of required parameters for activated sludge processes.
- Knowledge of materials, practices, procedures, equipment and methods used in the operation of secondary wastewater systems.
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel and Word programs.
- Knowledge in the use of WWTP Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Knowledge of City and department rules, regulations and policies.
- Ability to accurate read and input data into computer data management system.
- Ability to work accurately and safely with toxic chemicals and in confined spaces.
- Ability to make accurate and timely decisions on process control variables.
- Ability to communicate with the public, engineers, contractors and suppliers in a courteous and tactful manner. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and the general public.
- Ability to read, write and understand English at a level necessary for efficient job performance.