The City of Port Angeles has reopened its Façade and Sign Improvement Grant program to businesses and Multifamily Apartment structures located in commercial zones along arterial streets within the Port Angeles city limits. The City temporarily suspended the program in April 2019 due to the Governor's "Stay Home, Stay Safe" order. Reimbursable grants are funded by a Federal Community Development Block Grant, and are open to project proposals that are evaluated competitively based on the following criteria:
Evaluation Criteria and Prioritization
- Private contribution over and above the required match;
- Present condition of existing façade or signage;
- The building’s overall public visibility (i.e. the building’s relationship to commercial streets, public parks, etc.);
- Expected increase in assessed value of improvement;
- Historic preservation and/or rehabilitation;
- Support the character of the neighborhood and streetscape; and
- Priority will be given to projects that benefit partner projects on same block.
Is Your Project Eligible?
Project Eligibility is based on the following criteria:
- A property must be located in one of the following: Commercial Arterial (CA), Commercial Shopping District (CSD), Commercial Neighborhood (CN), Commercial Office (CO), and Commercial Business District (CBD) zones or be a conforming commercial use in a non-commercial zone;
- Building must be located on an arterial roadway.
- The owner, for them and their successors, shall agree to maintain improvements for a minimum of a five-year period;
- The project shall increase taxable value of building and shall be considered new construction or be a project on property that is not subject to property tax but that does increase the valuation of surrounding property; and
All funded activities must comply with federal, state and local laws pertaining to labor standards and payment of prevailing wages for contracted work.
For more on elegiblity, please visit Chapter 2.80 of the City;’s Municipal Code:
The following shall be eligible for funding through the program:
- Rehabilitation, reconstruction, or restoration to the exterior, streetside of a building facade;
- Glass, windows, doors, trim, and accessories that are part of the streetside facade;
- Awnings, canopies, fences, and landscaping features;
- Street grade entrances which contribute to activity along street edge;
- Professional architectural/design/contractor fees as deemed appropriate for eligible projects;
For more information please visit the City's Façade and Sign Grant webpage (https://cityofpa.us/487/Facade-and-Sign-Grant-Opportunities), and/or contact Associate Planner Ben Braudrick. Email: email@example.com or call 360-417-4804.