How do I sign up for residential garbage service?

-Within City limits-

For residential solid waste services, please fill out and send the Solid Waste Services Request and Change Form to Customer Service at

When you start your utility service, look for a 90 gallon green cart at your location. If you cannot find it, contact City Garbage Collection at

If you select recycling or yard waste on the form, allow a minimum of 5 business days for your cart(s) to be delivered.

For more details, visit:

For further assistance or questions, please call Customer Service at 360-457-0411.

-Outside City limits-

Contact County Garbage Collection to set up service: 360-452-7278.

Show All Answers

1. How do I sign up for residential garbage service?
2. How do I make changes to my existing service?
3. Why was my garbage missed?
4. I just moved in and have a lot of extra garbage and/or recycling, can I set it next to my cart?
5. Can I get a larger dumpster for a special clean-up project?
6. I have lots of yard waste at certain times of the year- can I get an extra cart?
7. My cart lid is broken. What do I do?
8. My cart is old and smelly, can I get a new one?
9. I have to get rid of a couch- where does it go?